Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lets Talk About Popcorn!!



I like my air popped popcorn with Lime and Tapatio! ;)
Who Doesnt like popcorn. I DO!! Even if sometimes I think it trying to kill me when the little yellow kernel skins get stuck in my troat.. I suffer from Hypertension so I need to watch how much sodium intake I consume.. SOOOO I bought this popcorn popper yesterday. It was around 10 dollars at Walmart. Air popping is one of the healthiest ways to prepare popcorn because it does not involve oil, which can add to the fat and calorie content of your snack. Prepackaged microwave popcorn and popcorn popped in oil both absorb some of the oils used in the popping process. Air popped popcorn has about 31 calories per cup as long as you dont add any toppings. I found an article where it higlighted some good points and pros.

Nutritional Information
It's hard to believe a snack food that tastes so good can actually be good for you! With suggestions from organizations such as the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (A.N.D.), there's no doubt popcorn is a perfectly sensible snack to fit into any meal/fitness plan.
    Poppy
  • Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup; oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup.
  • When lightly buttered, popcorn contains about 133 calories per cup.
  • Popcorn is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food.
  • Popcorn provides energy-producing complex carbohydrates
  • Popcorn contains fiber, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.
  • Popcorn is naturally low in fat and calories.
  • Popcorn has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.
  • Popcorn is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil the appetite.
  • 3 cups of popcorn equal one serving from the grain group.
  • Popcorn is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil an appetite.
For more nutrient data on popcorn you can visit  http://www.popcorn.org/NutritionRecipes/NutritionYou/NutritionalInformation/tabid/96/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment